Sunday 16 March 2014

Savor the Spring

I always feel as though I am coming out of a deep slumber at the end of winter. With the onset of Spring, there is a sense of rebirth not only in the city around me, but also in myself. The first rays of the Spring sunshine and patches of green struggling to break free of their frozen confines always help to reinvigorate me after the long winter months.

One of my favorite markings of the beginning of Spring here in Milwaukee is the annual Art in Bloom exhibition at the Milwaukee Art Museum. What better way to welcome Spring back to the city than with a celebration of color, life, and creativity?

MAM Art in Bloom
Dale Chihuly, Isola di San Giacomo in Palude Chandelier II, 2000

Spanning one weekend only, the annual Art in Bloom exhibition celebrates the talent and creativity of regional floral designers. Taking their inspiration from the MAM's permanent collection, these celebrated florists and gardeners imbue the collections with a breathe of fresh air.

 Ludwig Meidner, Portrait of a Young Man, 1912

As a native Milwaukeean, I have a lot of pride when it comes to the Milwaukee Art Museum. I never get tired of meandering through the collection on a lazy afternoon. The really special part of Art in Bloom, for me, is that it allows me to view these very familiar works in an entirely new way. Now, not only do I see Meidner's Portait of a Young Man (above) through my own eyes, but also through the creative lens of another artist in an entirely new medium. It challenges me to take a look closer, and brings a new, verdant life to the collection.

Gabriele Münter, In Schwabing, 1912

Because it only lasts a weekend, the event is often brimming with guests. It's a popular, community event, so I recommend arriving early to avoid the really heavy crowds. There are also educational sessions about gardening and the like to enjoy. Check it out March 27 - 30, 2014 from 10 AM-5 PM. Admission is $14 for Adults, and $12 for Students (w/ID) and Seniors (65+).

No comments:

Post a Comment