Thursday 15 January 2009

A Garden of Internet Delights

As much as I hate Google Earth for its Big-Brother-esque tampering with the spheres of privacy, this is pretty much amazing.

The Museo del Prado in Madrid is opening its collections to the eyes of Google Earth, allowing people to navigate through its galleries from home. They are offering fourteen paintings (nay, masterpieces) in insanely high-resolution, allowing crazies like me to get up close and personal with the likes of Fra Angelico, Velazquez, Goya... without getting yelled at by up-tight museum guards in Spanish. In addition to this (YES, there IS more...) we get to listen to the audio guides whilst indulging our eyes in pure bliss. 

Ah, we also get to look at this guy: 

Hieronymous Bosch, Garden of Earthly Delights, 1503/4

I've always loved Bosch for his intricacies... and now I get to see all of his debaucherous details. Brilliant. I'm not sure if I am nerding out about this a little too much... but, well, I am kind of an art nerd... and it's AWESOME.

I wonder what Benjamin (who, to explain it very basically, claimed that art in the modern age has lost its inherent visual 'aura'  due to photographic reproductions) would have to say about this development. In any case, I find it to be absolutely brilliant (if you hadn't gathered...). I can't wait to go play!

Update: Check out the Museo del Prado homepage if you are having trouble with the direct link. They will lead you to this wonderfulness!

5 comments:

  1. I never knew u had a blog amanda! u should have told me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats awesome, but i can't access the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no!! Go to their homepage: http://www.museodelprado.es/en/ingles/. It links directly to the Google Earth business... Glad I can pass on my procrastination tools to you, love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete